Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Too Hideous to Love, Too Delicious to Disregard

I am the love child of Dr. Jekyll, Mr. Hyde and Emeril Lagasse. A maniacal man of meat fueled by a twisted mixture of coffee, alcohol and pork products. Propelled by pride and dumb luck I hang on by a thread while normalcy unravels. In the heat of last weekend, delusion and fantasy reached a fever pitch. I was getting weird and my culinary courage had led me down a dark path. It all started with vegetables...
A tornado of technicolor vegetables whirled into my kitchen. They looked oddly beautiful but were clearly dead set on ruining my meat blog street cred. With my reputation in danger of disintegration and my sanity by no means safe I made a desperate lunge for stability. My attempt at stability garnered no results, but I did find some chicken.
Upon introducing poultry to pan I felt comforted. Upon remembering that chicken tastes like chicken I felt reassured. My culinary conscience seemed to be clearing and through the clouds of steam I caught a glimpse of a divine light.
The light was radiating off the subtle sheen of freshly cooked bacon. All seemed right in the world once again. The beautiful combo of bacon and chicken smiled up at me. But then, as if possessed by a health-conscious demon, I made an out of character decision. Instead of throwing all the vile vegetables into the nearest trashcan, I opted to throw them in with the heavenly meat products.
The culinary kaleidoscope I had concocted was a pleasure to behold but the watering down of the dish's meaty content was troubling. I forged forward nonetheless, doctoring up a white sauce. I plunged my colorful creation and its accompanying sauce into a couple crust lined pie pans and after 45 minutes of mad science, my Frankensteinian pot pie was alive!
As I sat down at the table, ceremonial first bite staring me in the face, I reflected on my current situation. -- I'm a meat log blogger. I'm fresh off a decisive 40th post and I'm now breathing life into a vegetable laden monster. What have I created? What have I become? What have I done?! -- But wait! The bite that passed between my reluctant lips was laced with fiery flavor. I melted, I conceded. Be still my beating heart. Assorted unmentionables mixed with a hefty portion of chicken and a bunch o' big bad bacon tasted really freek-a-leekin' good.

In the culinary kingdom taste reigns supreme, which means despite my loyal allegiance to the royal family of meat, exceptions must be made.

You won this round veggies. You were an excellent addition.  


No comments:

Post a Comment